Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Story Behind The Photo: African Drummer



"African Drummer" is a photo taken at Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park in Orlando, Florida. I was joining my wife's family in the park to meet them for the very first time and I was unable to see "The Lion King" show because it was sold out. So, while they were in the show, I decided to listen to the African music concert which was right outside the theatre. Upon listening to the music, I became captivated by one of the performers, the African Drummer. I must have taken at least fifty pictures of this musician over the course of a thirty-minute concert. His expression and intensity was absolutely riveting. What I love about this photo is that it shows the drive and focus this man had to execute the flawless sounds. Everything about the African Drummer creates the music he is performing, even down to the shaker instruments strapped to his wrists. To this day, I don't even know the name of this man, which rather adds to the mystery and wonder of this image. 
I stood right next to the stage less than five feet away and the stage only rose a few feet off the ground. I used a 18mm lens to capture the image in broad daylight. I used a wide angle to gain ambient visuals of the building in the background. I had taken images prior to this one without the building and the images felt too flat, lacking in depth of field. I felt like, with this building, the image had added story and depth. This photo was taken toward the end of the concert when our mystery man was sweaty from the heat and intensity of the music. As the beat of the music quickened, the drummer's intensity elevated to match the energy and  excitement of the crowd. By the time this photo was taken, he was so engrossed in his music that it was electrifying. The other thing I love about this image is how much texture it has, including the physical drum itself. It looks very rustic and worn, but it is still able to produce such a fun, friendly and powerful sound.

What are your thoughts on the image? What story do you see? Please comment below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment