Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The Story Behind the Photo: Diagon Fireball


"Diagon Fireball" was taken at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Diagon Alley, Universal Studios, Orlando, Florida. This was taken on the opening weekend of Diagon Alley when swarms of people piled into the lifelike streets to see their favorite fantasy world become a reality. The detail in this section of the park is exquisite and top-notch. When entering Diagon Alley, the walls are so high that one can't see anything outside of this world. This completely engrosses a person into the imaging of the land. After walking through the brick wall of the famous book series, we passed the Leaky Cauldron on my left and underneath a train track. It is at this point where we saw the infamous dragon of Gringotts. The dragon breathes fire every thirty minutes and, if I didn't know better, I would have thought the dragon was real. Before entering this world, the idea of a dragon was pure fantasy but, after entering Diagon Alley, those muggle thoughts were dashed away. Not long after we entered this section, we saw, and felt, the fire for the first time.
I wanted to capture the realistic look of the dragon so I stood under the train trestle and I used an 18mm lens to capture this image. Another important thing to note is that this image is completely straight. The camera is not tilted, unlike some of my previous photos. Diagon Alley truly is multi-dimensional, in that it has no straight lines on any part of the set, creating a natural curve for this shot. What I love about this photo is how it captures the grittiness of the land yet, at the same time, it stays clean and inviting, maintaining a flare for adventure. I had taken several photos in the same angle before, but without the fire. I felt like the dragon was missing something and then, almost a half hour in, this was it. In the end, my goal was to enhance the realistic look of the dragon as much as possible and I felt like this photo, with the fire coming out of its mouth, was by far the best.

What are your thoughts on the image? What story do you see? Please comment below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment