Sunday, October 25, 2015

The Story Behind The Photo: Thanksgiving Beat


"Thanksgiving Beat" was taken during Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City, November 2014. For many years, going back to my childhood growing up in New Jersey, I always dreamt of going to see the parade live in New York City because I would watch it every year on television. This past year, I was fortunate enough to see the parade live, in person, with my wife, as well as show off the city that I know and love in hopes that she would enjoy it too. It was wonderful to experience something new, especially with my wife, in a place that I had practically grown up in. My wife was dazzled by the sights and sounds and decorations all around her as she had never been during that time of year before. People say that Disney has always had the most magic, the most wonder. However, that day, as we stood in relatively warm weather (of 22 degrees), and snow gently fell around us, there was a magic unlike any we had ever seen before. People gathered for a parade that is known throughout the country, to see amazing balloons that sparked the tradition one hundred years ago and marching bands whose uniforms and instruments shone in the bright sun. It was a truly magical experience.
I took this picture with a 35mm lens in black and white as we had the unique opportunity to be, literally, on the sidelines. As the marching band was going by, I focused in on the drumming section where the drums showcased the picture of the logo of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. What I find appealing about this photo is that it is taken in front of Radio City Music Hall while a high school band is coming through on the parade route. I thought to myself, all of these members of the band must be thinking that the dreams of playing in Radio City are absolutely attainable. This story resonates with me because New York City is a place where opportunities are endless as long as they are earned. Anything in life is attainable in this city as long as one is willing to showcase one's work ethic into one's craft, including a high school drummer playing in the halls of Radio City Music Hall.

What are your thoughts on the image? What story do you see? Please comment below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment